Friday, February 29, 2008

Tough Calls

So the verdict is back. Probably some sort of debris in my joint, but also a rotator cuff tear. And I found out the reason I can't see the pin is because it's made of an absorbable protein. That is just beyond cool. I really want to see one they haven't put in yet, but I think that might be the last straw for my orthopaedist.

So I'm having surgery in 5 days. Figure two weeks at least until I can run, and another good month until I can swim.
I made some decisions after realizing that if I don't take care of myself I will miss another entire season.

So I bailed on the Shamrock half.
Transferred my Cherry Blossom number.
Bailed on Columbia.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to maintain overall fitness enough to run the GW 10 miler. And maybe the Frederick half marathon.

I'm frustrated to be going through this again when I followed all the rules. I'm worried about recovering in time for crew. And I'm worried about putting on weight while I'm recovering.

Adding to the stress is one of my roommates has decided to buy a house and is moving out and I need to find a replacement.

My plan for now is to work out like crazy until the surgery since I know I'll have a forced rest day or five. My trainer has promised to come up with a plan of attack for my recovery. I'm just upset because my list of can't seems so long right now: no swimming, no rowing, no biking outdoors, and no biking where there's pressure on my shoulder. No elliptical with arms.

Add to that: crew registration is next week. Our season starts in a month.

1 comment:

Rainmaker said...

Bummer :(

Hopefully you're surgery went well. And hopefully you'll be able to get back to the rowing/running and triathlon soon.

Look forward to running with you among the masses at the GW 10 Miler!