Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Soft" in the head

Monday I went to the orthopaedist's. He cleared me to be as obnoxious as I want to be, run, row, or ... play softball!

I joined my church's softball team, which is part of a larger church league. One advantage is that no matter how bad I am they can't be mean to me. Also, I'm there to fill the female quota, so expectations are low.

So post ortho appointment, I came home, logged in for a bit, then slept through dinner. Which meant my blood sugar was nice and low for the game. I woke up just in time to make it over to the fields which were back in Alexandria.

So what position do you play when you are a token girl who hasn't played softball in years?
Catcher!
I'm still sore from crouching for 45 minutes. Although it did such a nice job on my thigh adductors, I'm tempted to volunteer to catch again.

As I said, I hadn't played in a very long time. And to be honest, I was a little fuzzy on the rules. I hit a pop-up, rather than run like a person with common sense, I looked up to see if it was foul or fair. It hit me right in the forehead (I coulda had a V8).

Do you know what you should not do when playing in a church league? Yell "Jesus Christ" is in the top five, I think. Awkward.

I did manage to catch a throw to home on a run. Too bad I forgot I had to tag the base.

Sigh. Note to self: go to batting cage, eat dinner, keep mouth shut.

1 comment:

Rainmaker said...

I'm not sure which is funnier honestly:

A) Getting hit in the forehead by a pop fly

B) Yelling Jesus Christ at a church game.

Either way - funny as all hell.

:)