Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bike, run, swim

Saturday morning I had a brick with the Team Fight hope to be Iron Girls.

I was kind of dreading both driving up to Columbia and getting on the bike for the first time in a year. Brock, our coach from the Ulman Cancer Fund sweetly helped me get my tires pumped up and my wheels set up.


We rode the 2.5 mile Gateway loop and then ran/shuffled one loop. They call it a brick for a reason. The biking went great. I feel a lot better about it, and I think I'm going to try to start riding regularly with a beginner group. I met some cool people including a lady who rows for Annapolis, and got a low-fat cake recipe :)


In a stroke of genius, I had scheduled my first swim session later that day.


Coach Alan is DC Rainmaker's new coach. He graciously agreed to take me on as a swim (head) case.

How to explain Coach Alan:

He's a retired Air Force Colonel. He talks a LOT. He absolutely knows his stuff. And thankfully can mostly explain it to me in a way I can understand. I love military people, they just make sense. Them and engineers. Just in case you need proof that Coach Alan is awesome: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060917/news_m1sc17triath.html.

A one hour introductory session turned into a two hour swim session. And I really think it will help. I have three pages of homework which include drills, drills, and more drills. And they involve fins and a pull buoy. The co-worker I've been swimming with has already refused to be seen at the pool with me. Although the stylish accessories should hopefully ensure that I won't do any more damage to my shoulder.

The nose clip is out though. It's uncomfortable and for some reason makes me want to panic. I'll risk the chlorine cold.

2 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Woot to engineers! And woot to military related engineers! Two boats for the price of one.

jeanne said...

awesome! and scary! so that's what i have: a chlorine cold. i've been wondering.