Saturday, March 14, 2009

Take another little piece of my heart

Since I decided to sign myself up for an Ironman, making sure I got my annual physical seemed like a good idea.
I’ve also been super prone to getting colds and other fun stuff from all my filthy germy friends, and I’ve been tired a lot. Like I’m good for about 3 days and then I need a break from life to catch up.

Yeah, that would be because I’m mildly anemic. And that was before they took what felt like a pint of blood out. I’m sure it was really only an ounce, but I swear I could hear the slurping straw at the bottom of the glass sound.
Problem (hopefully) easily solved. (Provided it’s not the result of a giant hole in my stomach).

The other news is my cholesterol and triglycerides are through the roof.

Let’s review:
I’m vegetarian
I do a cardio workout for at least an hour 4 times a week.
I almost exclusively use EVOO in cooking.
At home, I only eat low-fat cheese.
I only eat sugar-free low-fat ice cream and yogurt.
I rarely drink.

What. The. F?!!!!

How did this happen?

Am I sleep walking to McDonald’s?

Is Coke Zero made with lard?

Now I’m on a semi-restrictive diet for the next six months. Apparently if you have blood sugar issues, you can convert carbs to triglycerides instead of making them available for use. Awesome. So no bagels, no pasta, no Angelico’s for a while.
Oh and I’m physically incapable of carb loading.

Angry Panda.

4 comments:

jeanne said...

the good news is: you'll lose a ton of weight!

that's weird about your cholesteral and tri stuff.

not fair.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have been telling you for years that being a vegatarian is not good. :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes this stuff is genetic...haven't you seen the commericials? Sorry to hear it though...frustrating.

Rainmaker said...

That's whacky. I wonder if it's just related to different foods you eat in the winter vs the summer. Very odd though.

Hang in there though - I'm sure things will get better once past 6 months.