Monday, October 29, 2007

99 Red Balloons ...

Earlier this month, I did the Light the Night walk with my company.

The LTN walk is a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and I was still feeling a little guilty about only having completed the Rock n Roll half marathon for the TNT program. So I suckered New Boy into walking with me. We drove to Reston Town Center and made it just in time. The walk is held at night, and you're suppsed to carry a battery lit balloon, and the sight is pretty cool, tons of floating flickering balloons in the woods. We were late, so our balloons were sad and unlit, but there were so many people out, it didn't really matter. We headed out for a roughly 3 mile walk on unseen paths through Reston, including past the place where I had surgery.

There were a group of high schools in front of us including a cancer survivor. It looked like the kid was wearing a wig, so I'm guessing he was still in treatment, but it was nice (kind of) to see that wasn't stopping them from being teenagers. There were also cheerleaders cheering us on, and volunteers with posterboard signs with cancer facts on them every so often.

It was good to get out for a walk and to support a great organization. And I was really happy that New Boy supported my charity effort.

No comments: